TaxJar Review: Read our detailed TaxJar review to learn more about its key features, pricing plans, integrations, and more.
Find out if TaxJar is the right tool for your e-commerce business.
What is TaxJar?
TaxJar is one of the most steady and dependable tax solutions for small to mid-sized e-commerce companies. It is primarily developed to automate tax filing, financial reporting, and sales tax computing.
TaxJar is a gateway between e-commerce merchants and their customers. Regardless of which platform you are looking to sell your products to, TaxJar will connect you with your customers.
The tool has a dazzling array of features such as automatic sync with e-commerce platforms, multi-platform support, state and local level tax reports, and more.
All in all, if you are an e-commerce merchant and looking for a solution to streamline your taxes, TaxJar is a good pick.
- Company: TaxJar (trademark of TPS Unlimited)
- Website: https://www.taxjar.com/
- Founded in 2012
- Country of origin: United States of America
TaxJar Key Features
Sales Tax Compliance Platform
The platform plays an important role in streamlining and automating the entire Sales Tax Life Cycle. The tool simplifies sales tax compliance at every stage in just a few steps.
Sales Tax Calculator
The first step for tax compliance is accurate calculations of sales tax. The tool’s calculation engine applies accurate rates, which indicates that tax calculations are based on your customer’s geographical location.
Tax data is used in real-time to ensure smooth transactions for every user.
Sales Tax Reports
TaxJar does all the heavy lifting around your sales tax accounting. All the orders from multiple e-commerce channels are compiled and displayed on an intuitive dashboard.
This offers your sales teams access to your transactions and a breakdown of all transactions based on the location’s customers. The tool compiles data consistently from all the accounts and CSV reports that are linked to it.
That’s not all! The tool automatically generates state-specific reports including the jurisdictional breakdowns that typically take a lot of time to complete.
It is fair to say that economic nexus is a moving target as the threshold and criteria of every state is different. The tool simplifies the entire process by providing an easy-to-understand dashboard and notification system.
The dashboard even warns users when they need to register to a new state. In a nutshell, the platform streamlines and overcomes the hurdles within the economic nexus.
Filling and remittance
It is very important to file sales tax returns at the right time. TaxJar comes with an automatic electronic filling solution for each state’s sales tax that is built around its cutting-edge technology.
TaxJar Features Overview
- Audit trail
- Exemption management
- Address validation
- Tax filing
- Tax calculation
- Transaction tracking
- Taxabilty verification
TaxJar offers three main pricing points so that businesses have the flexibility to choose the best plan for them.
Continue reading to find the different TaxJar pricing plans below:
Price: $19 per month
- Email support
- Sales tax reporting
- Simple CSV import
- 4 free AutoFiles per year
- Product tax code catalog
Price: $99 per month
- All features in Starter
- Phone support
- Advanced CSV import
- 12 free AutoFiles per year
- TaxJar integrations and API access
Price: Custom pricing
- All features in Professional
- While gloves support
- Unlimited AutoFiles
TaxJar Pros and Cons
- The tool comes with all the features that enable you to handle different aspects of sales tax requirements.
- TaxJar allows users to file taxes according to the geographical location of the user.
- The tool collects data from different platforms and generates a consolidated report for each state that can be used to file sales tax returns.
- It is one of the best financial tools for online sellers that have a nexus in different states.
- The customer support is extremely helpful and responsive.
- It can prove to be an expensive software for businesses that complete thousands of transactions each month.
- A few APIs seem redundant and the logic is unclear
- On some occasions, the tool remits a random amount when a user chooses to use the tool to auto file their taxes
- The web interface provides few options for users to make manual adjustments
- No phone support
- Quickbooks Online
- Oracle Netsuite
Free Trial – Yes
Free Version – No
- Cloud, SaaS, Web-based
- Live online
TaxJar pricing plans
- Starter: $19 per month
- Professional: $99 per month
- Premium: custom pricing
- Small businesses
- Medium-sized businesses
- Knowledge base
- SAP Tax Compliance
Was this TaxJar review insightful? Leave your comments to tell us about your favorite features and your experience with the tool.